Saturday 21 December 2013

5 things about Christmas

Been a quiet week here on the blog, with a head cold and a broken fridge taking up most of my attention. And going fridge shopping with a 3 year old is fun... perhaps not.

Over the past month, I had been thinking about what Christmas means to me. And so here are my 5 things about Christmas.

Christmas is about reflection
Christmas affords me the time to take stock of the year just past. To see how far I have come, and where I have grown;  of things accomplished, of things yet to be done, and of changes to make.

Christmas is about generosity.
Not just of things or money but of time and spirit. It's about looking out for those who have little, and sharing what we have.

Christmas is about family and friends
To spend time as a family unit and reconnect. To invest time in people we love.

Christmas is about thanksgiving
The whole concept of Thanksgiving in the US is really appealing to me. And to some extent at least for me Christmas is a equivalent. It's an opportunity to be thankful for all that we have, in what ever form it may take. For jobs, or no job, for children or no children, you get the gist of it 

Christmas is about celebration.
Celebrating the birth of God's gift to man

I know that for some Christmas is a difficult time of the year, either because of lost loved ones or suffering or loneliness or broken relationships or unfulfilled desires. I have been there before in the days when we struggled with infertility. So I'm sharing this that by Steven Curtis Chapman today that brought a smile to my face.



Merry Christmas to you and yours!
May your home be filled with joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment