Tuesday 7 May 2013

Preference for Mummy or Daddy

Mummy or Daddy?

For the last few months, Little Man has shown a definite preference for Mummy over Daddy, whether it be putting him to bed or reading to him. 

If Mummy was around, Mummy would be the the 'STAR', and nothing that Daddy would do would hit the mark - he would be relegated to being a second class citizen. 

The story would be slightly different when Mummy was out of the picture.

This meant that whenever, the Little Man woke up in the wee hours of the morning - he would only be settled by Mummy! The end result was a very tired mummy!

Despite all our talks, about Daddy being a more than suitable replacement for Mummy, the ritual had continued.

Finally this morning, we had a breakthrough, at least we think it's a breakthrough. Instead of the usual ritual of screaming at the top of his lungs for mummy - it was daddy! You can imagine the shock and horror and then the elation that Daddy felt. And the relief that Mummy feels!

Later in the morning, Little Man even commented on his change in behaviour.

I certainly hope that he has grown out his habit!

Has your child ever shown a particular preference for one parent over the other? Did it last long? How did the impacted parent feel?  

Linking up with Jess today on I blog on Tuesdays.
EssentiallyJess

5 comments:

  1. My kids love their dad more. I just know it. And it hate it!! It's not fair because I wipe their bums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that my little man loves me more, but certainly prefers me. That being said - he wants Daddy to pick him up from daycare.

      Delete
  2. We gave up and just named our shifts ;) I do overnight, Mr does early mornings. Works for us. #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our kids seem to prefer us for different things. Apart from my second, they have all been just as happy with one or the other. My second though is a mummy's girl through and through

    ReplyDelete
  4. My nephew was a total Momma's boy. Now that he's in middle school he wants nothing to do with Mom! I really mean that. It's all about Dad. I think it breaks my sister's heart.

    I have one that's all about me and the other could go either way. They are young.

    ReplyDelete