Thursday 25 April 2013

Test Kitchen Thursday - Nigella's Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake

The cousins were coming over to visit and play, plus see the renovated house, so I told Little Man that we would bake something for morning tea.

To which an excited reply came: "chocolate cake!' 

I don't have a regular chocolate cake recipe - i have an ultra good brownie recipe so I searched through my cookbook collection looking for an easy chocolate cake - and did i find one.. Nope! So off to google i went, and eventually settled on this an old fashioned chocolate cake by Nigella Lawson.

And so Little Man and I created the cake together. I measured out all the ingredient and he poured and mixed to his heart's content.


Recipe

  • 200 grams plain flour
  • 200 grams caster sugar
  • teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 40 grams best-quality cocoa powder
  • 175 grams soft unsalted butter
  • large eggs
  • teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 150 ml sour cream
    Preheat the oven 180°C and line and line cake tin.
    Mix the flour, sugar and leavening agents in a large bowl and beat in the soft butter until you have a combined and creamy mixture. Now whisk together the cocoa, sour cream, vanilla and eggs and beat this into your bowl of mixture. the other way is to throw everything into food processor and mix it together.
    Pour into a cake tin. I used a square 20" tin .
    Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, approx 35 minutes.
    Remove the cake to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes before turning out .
    Ice cake when cooled. i didn't use nigella's icing recipe to ice the cake - i just threw some dark chocolate buds and some thickened cream to make the 'icing'

    Nigella's official recipe is found here - Nigella's recipe


    Verdict:

    This is an awesome cake, really easy to make and delicious!  I made it with my almost 3 year old  so I'm adding this to my recipe book. Thanks Nigella!

    Have you ever tried this recipe? Did it work for you? Or do you have a favourite chocolate cake recipe that you'd recommend i try?




    7 comments:

    1. Ooooooh, Steph!!! This looks totes nomes! I have been looking for the perfect chocolate cake! Off to bookmark this! Hope you're well! x

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I am well thanks. Do let me know what you think of the recipe!

        Delete
    2. Yum Yum! Funnily enough I have just made a chocolate this afternoon - if only I had seen this recipe first!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. How did your chocolate cake turn out Robyn? Care to share the recipe?

        Delete
    3. meant to say chocolate cake!!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Ooh this looks so good. I love adding sour cream to my cakes but never thought of adding it to a chocolate cake! Yum.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It tasted good too! the sour cream made the cake a little more moist i think, but i would not normally put sour cream with chocolate together either.

        Delete